PostMatches By WorkStaff USA
Supervises nursing and hospital operations on assigned shift. Coordinates patient bed placement activities for admissions and internal and external transfers to match patient care need with appropriate nursing unit. Supervises staff placement to meet short term clinical staffing needs. Responsible for activities to maximize patient flow to provide seamless admissions, transfers, and discharges to minimize diversions, delays, or denials of patients. Functions as on-site administrative representative in the absence of regular hospital administration. Supports the mission of the organization.
• Directs/manages hospital operations on assigned shift to ensure that appropriate patient care is provided and patient/family needs are met.
• Rounds on all patient units to identify patient placement needs, available beds with assigned staff and staff capacity to safely take additional admissions, at least once every three (3) to four (4) hours.
• Communicates at Huddles and directly with Charge Nurse to: Review current patients. Identify pending/potential discharges.
• Determine capacity for and time frame for admissions.
• Discuss any anticipated internal transfers in department to facilitate patient care needs or room for admission.
• Support regional utilization strategy.
• Works with Unit Managers and their designee, Regional Telephonic Medical Center (RTMC), Surgical Services, the Emergency Department, Bed Control Coordinator, Care Coordinators, outside facilities, Physicians, Urgent Care, and KP Clinics, to assure appropriate prioritization and placement of patients.
• Coordinates with Unit Managers and their designee and Staffing Specialists to ensure appropriate staff is provided on each shift to meet patient needs and maintain cost effectiveness.
• Collaborates with managers/directors to initiate additional resources for planned or unplanned events.
• Initiates Escalation Process when necessary.
• Completes Administrative Report at designated frequencies.
• Ensures compliance with organizational policy and procedures and with regulatory requirements.
• Coordinates the AOC the ED Charge RN and ED Physician request for decision to divert ambulances if Emergency Department has exhausted all resources to create capacity to manage additional ambulance patients.
• Anticipates potential problems and intervenes to minimize adverse impact; manages conflicts that arise.
• Assists with decedent affairs including organ/tissue procurement procedures.
• Acts as a clinical resource for nursing including interpretation of policies and procedures and assisting with clinical practice issues.
• Supports performance improvement activities.
• Assists departmental staff in responding to and resolving patient/family questions, concerns or complaints when management team not available.
• Assists with the on-the-job injury management program.
• Appropriately communicates and documents administrative, departmental, risk management and member issues to ensure timely follow up and response.
• Coordinates with Engineering regarding equipment malfunctions, safety issues and repair needs, and ongoing patient room maintenance.
• Initiates Disaster Procedures as necessary and functions as incident commander until relieved.
• In absence of Hospital Department Managers, addresses and communicates employee issues that arise after hours.
• Communicates issue and problem resolution actions to department manager.
• Minimum five (5) years of clinical experience as RN.
• Minimum three (3) years of leadership experience in health care field.
• Minimum five (5) years of acute care nursing practice.
• BSN or health-related bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in BSN or health-related bachelor’s degree program with completion date defined OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Current Oregon or Washington RN license in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/ transfer.
• Effective communication skills.
• Financial/economic principles.
• Minimum ten (10) years of combined acute care clinical experience as RN.
• Minimum three (3) years of previous healthcare or manager experience.
• Nurse Practice Act, JCAHO, Labor Law, all related and affiliate contracts, Work men’s Comp, Kaiser policies and procedures, Medicare/Medicaid, Health Department, Employee Benefits, Human Resource policies and procedures, O.S.H.A., National Labor Relations Board, Standards of Practice of Professional Organizations.